If your question is ‘does my baby need a passport for’? Then the answer is ‘YES’
If your baby’s age is below 16 then you must have the U.S passport. There is an exception for Canada. You do not need a passport for your child when traveling to Canada. You will need only a birth certificate as an official paper.
It seems to be silly that your baby also needs a passport that even can’t talk or walk. Huh…
Here are all facts you might concern including ‘what to do and How to do.
What To Do:
- If you are travel now and then from one country to another country for official purpose or vacation you might know the rules and regulation about an infant travel document during country exit therefore enter.
- But if you are a rookie parent and never traveled with an infant before by plane or cruise for abroad destination you should know this before planning the tour timeline.
- So, before planning a foreign vacation schedule you should make your baby’s passport as soon as possible because it might require 6-12 weeks.
- Be careful that when you traveling with a child who does not belong to you biologically such as granddaughter or else carries the parental consent letter during domestic traveling.
How To Apply:
⇒ First of all, you have to fill up the U.S passport application Form DS-11 accordance your requirement. You have to apply in person rather avoid using online platforms.
Provide the social security number with the application if available. In case, you do not have the social security number you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: (Child’s full name) has never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.” For more clarity, you can check out the U.S. Department of State’s Travel website.
You should apply for the 52 pages passport as you do not need any extra fees. Moreover, you cannot sign the application without the acceptance agent allows you to do so.
⇒ You have to submit one of the four U.S citizenship documents while applying. Original and certified are valid. You cannot submit photocopy or notarized documents,
- Valid and intake U.S passport though it is expired
- Birth certificate of U.S
- Consular report of abroad birth
- Citizenship certificate
In case, you do not have any of the above then look Citizenship Evidence.
⇒ Now, submit the photocopy of the citizenship documents or 2nd certified documents as evidence. The paper should be legible and on 8.5” by 11” standard one-sided black and white.
If you do not submit any of them there is a high chance of a possibility of delay the processing time.
⇒ Parental relationship certificate also needs for applying. Submit the original U.S birth certificate that refers to citizenship and parental relationship. Others might be used in referring the legal guardianship.
- Abroad birth certificate
- Adoption decree, divorce or custody decree
- Consular report of abroad birth (also evidence of U.S citizenship)
⇒ Bring the identification documents to the acceptance agent anything you belong in-state. If you provide an out-of-state ID then you might submit another one.
⇒ Take a photocopy of the front side and backside per ID on one side. It should be on white plain 8 1/2 x 11″ standard paper.
⇒ Parents or legal guardian must have their authorize consent for the baby passport. It would be great if both parents/ guardian be with the baby in the present while applying.
In case of absence, you might follow the U.S. Department of State’s Travel website.
⇒ The most important task to do providing your baby’s one photo to the acceptance agent without attaching to the form.
Nobody can include in the photo or hold the baby. Starring to the camera is preferred although not necessary.
The best way is, lay your baby on its back upon a white sheet or blanket making sure its head is not supported by anyone or anything.
Here you can see all the photo requirements to avoid the delay.
⇒ If all are okay then you can submit the passport application form paying the proper amount of fees. Here is the passport fee for minor under 16.
⇒ In case, you are in a hurry or you need the passport emergency you can do it paying an additional $60. You will get your baby’s passport through the mail. Your baby’s passport expiry timeline is for 5 years.
Now, get ready to discover the world together!
You Might Also Like: