Tired of looking for the best tricycles for 2 year old kids?
We’ve got just the right kind of trikes for you.
At 2 years of age, a child hasn’t yet developed the balance and coordination needed to ride a bike. A tricycle will help to build the foundation skills to transition to independent riding later on in life.
We compared more than 30 tricycles and analyzed which one will suit your kids the best. It turns out the models that have stable wheels and good steering systems work better. Some of them even have parental push handles to control the riding before your child can take over.
If you want something simple and effective, go for the Radio Flyer Trike. It doesn’t have the bells and whistles like some of the other trikes but it does the job! And.. toddlers will find it easy to reach the pedals.
For more details, keep on reading!
10 Best Tricycle For 2 Year Old 2020
Click a link below to jump to the relevant section
- 1.Radio Flyer Red Rider Trike
- 2.Schwinn Easy Steer Tricycle
- 3.XJD 3 in 1 Kids Tricycles
- 4.Tricam GCK-31 Kids Tractor Tricycle
- 5.Schwinn Roadster Kids Tricycle
- 6.smarTrike Smartfold 700 Folding Baby Tricycle
- 7.Joovy Tricycoo Kid’s Tricycle
- 8.smarTrike Zoom Toddler Tricycle
- 9.Fisher-Price Nickelodeon PAW Tricycle
- 10.Little Tikes 4-in-1 Basic Edition Trike
- Final Words
1.Radio Flyer Red Rider Trike
We think the Radio Flyer is the best trike overall for first time toddlers! The design is simple, functional and certainly will fit your budget. It’s the perfect tricycle for kids to learn basic riding concepts with no complications!
Most 2 year olds will find it easy to reach the pedals, at least touch them. If your child isn’t big enough to reach the pedals, you can always support him using the hand grip on the back of the seat.
The entire construction is plastic including the wheels. Despite that it’s quite sturdy and good to last a couple of years. The adjustable seat that goes back and forth with a little bit of rise is enough to support kids up to 5 years of age.
Toddlers love carrying their favorite toys with them. With a Radio Flyer, there’s a covered trunk at the back that your child can use to transport his things while riding.
While all things good, the splash guard on the front tire might sometimes get loose and slip sideways. Just make sure to fix it from time to time.
- Simple and uncomplicated design is great for young toddlers.
- Seat is adjustable to grow with your kids to some extent.
- Transport easily with the handgrip on the seat back.
- Covered bin at the back is great for storing toys.
- The front-wheel splash guard might loosen up with time and slide sideways.
2.Schwinn Easy Steer Tricycle
If you are looking for the best tricycle for your 2 year old, then you simply can’t ignore Schwinn! It’s almost a household name in the states making new memories for kids and parents for years. This particular trike has a push handle bar to control the proceedings as your kid slowly gains skills.
It’s equipped with rubber tires that have better capacity to absorb shock. You won’t have to worry about tipping over as the wheel base is wider and more supportive. On top of that, there are straps to keep the toddler in place securely.
Even if your kid isn’t big enough to reach the pedals, he can comfortably put his feet on the footrests. The size of the trike will support kids up to years old and the addition of brakes makes it better. For those who are looking to get full value for their money, this is it.
We loved the push handle as it is easy to operate. You can control the direction and speed of the trike standing comfortably. Initially, it can be a bit annoying as the handle needs to be kept near 15-20 degrees to keep the tires straight. With time, you should get a hold of it.
- Baskets on both rear and front sides for carrying toys.
- Footrests supports kids until they can reach the pedals.
- Rubber tires with wider wheel base provides stability.
- Comes with push handle to gain control of the trike.
- Will need some time to get used to the positioning of the push handle to operate the wheels.
3.XJD 3 in 1 Kids Tricycles
Meet the trike with the smartest design, the XJD 3 in 1. It converts easily from a three wheelers tricycle to a two wheeler bike and there’s hardly any model that can achieve this feat.
Installing the trike merely takes a few minutes! The best part is you can adjust the handlebar angle and the height of the seat as well. Seat height can be adjusted between 11.8-14.2-in. Needless to say, this trike will grow with your baby and offer at least a couple of year’s service.
If your kid can’t reach the pedals yet, you can take them off and keep them within the trike in a designated place. That’s cool. And when he grows a bit, fold the back tires to make it into a two-wheel bike. Awesome!
It’s crafted out of carbon steel to add durability. Riding is made comfortable with soft handle grips and seats. The wheels are completely enclosed and there’s no chance of your kid’s feet sticking inside.
The only thing that could have been different was the height of the handlebar. It’s a little low and doesn’t correspond well when the seat is raised.
- Convertible to a two-wheeled bike for learning the basics early on.
- Adjustable functions on handlebar and seat.
- Store the pedals inside the bike when you don’t need them.
- Durable carbon steel construction lasts longer.
- The height of the handlebar is slightly lower compared to the seat height.
4.Tricam GCK-31 Kids Tractor Tricycle
So your kid won’t settle with less? How about a tractor within a tricycle? The Tricam trike will make your kid happy and something different to cherish all his life.
In terms of stability and durability, this is probably the best tricycle for 2 year old kids. It’s literally a beast. Most parents have praised the heavy build quality as kids have no chance of tipping over with it. Only a few have observed the hard work their kids had to do to pedal the thing forward.
The seat has adjustable positions that will support the kid as they grow bigger in size. This will even help him to maneuver the trike better.
If you are buying this, you should know there’s a learning curve to learn using the steering as it’s not like regular handlebars. It comes with a few stickers that you can use to customize the look of the bike. All in all, there’s nothing much to complain other than the heavy weight of the trike.
- Steel constructions makes it extremely stable and durable.
- Adjustable seat positions is suitable for growing kids.
- Rubber tires gives it ability to ride off-road.
- It might take some time for your kid to adjust to the weight and steering function.
5.Schwinn Roadster Kids Tricycle
Here’s a tricycle with a retro look, the Schwinn Roadster! Perfectly designed for toddlers who are yet to learn the basics. The stylish and classic design is what makes it so irresistible.
The bike seat can move forward or backward in 5 different settings. As your kid grows, you can move it a bit forward to make space for the bigger legs. On the back of the trike, there’s a wooden seat that can accommodate another kid who wants to share a ride.
Most toddlers were excited by the bell and fabric tassels that gave the bike a unique look. Don’t hold the kid back if he wants to ride on gravel or dirt as it is equipped with real bike tires!
As this model has a heavy build quality, it can be a bit tough at the beginning to move the pedal. But certainly, it will help build more muscles to make your baby stronger.
- Real bike wheels are great to ride on various surfaces.
- Adjustable seat positions can fit your growing kid.
- Extra real wood frame at the back to carry an extra child.
- Attractive design elements to keep the baby interested.
- Can be a bit hard to pedal at the beginning because of the heavy build quality.
6.smarTrike Smartfold 700 Folding Baby Tricycle
If portability is your #1 concern, you are in luck! The SmartTrike Smartfold folds into a compact shape making it the perfect travel companion and one of the best tricycles for 2-year-olds. It’s got lots of variations in settings that supports full parental control to full kids control.
Your baby might not be ready yet to ride on his own. The high back seat has a 360 swiveling mechanism. So, you can make him face towards you as you control the trike with the push handle.
The pedals are foldable and are quite handy for those who can’t reach the pedals. Changing control from child to parent is effortless with just a press of a button and twisting the wheels.
For safety, the wheels have got shock absorbers and for a bike of such a stature this is quite uncommon. When your kid sits inside, you can attach the 5-point harness and lift up the canopy for more protection.
As for flaws, there is one but not a deal-breaker by any means. When you need to go back, you can’t turn the tires at too much angle. So, you might need to lift the front wheel to achieve that. It’ll take some time to get used to it.
- Swiveling seat allows to carry your child facing at the back or front.
- Gain full parental control of the trike with easy to use mechanism.
- Foldable footrest is comfortable for younger kids to sit.
- Secured with 5 point harness and shock-absorbing wheels.
- You will need some time to understand how the push handle can be maneuvered.
7.Joovy Tricycoo Kid’s Tricycle
The Joovy Tricycoo is one of the most highly rated trikes for 2 year olds and it comes with a push handle for superior parental control. It’s got everything from adjustable seat to foldable footrests that will support kids from as early as 10 months.
The parent push handle is adjustable from 32.5-38-in and helps parents to use conveniently. When your child grows and becomes capable of riding independently just remove the handle. The seats can move forward or backward to accommodate the legs of a growing kid.
What you will really love is the protection system of the trike. The seat has a surrounding arm that ensures your child sits stably and the 3-point harness eliminates tipping over. A large retractable canopy keeps the sun at bay and keeps the nice and cool.
Moreover, the pedals can be locked into place if the child can’t reach it yet. In that case, the foldable footrests come handy. On the back seat there’s a storage bin and on the front, there’s a cup holder. The cup holder is the only weak link in this trike as it can snap off easily.
- Adjustable seat and parent push handle.
- Pedal locking system along with foldable footrests.
- High child protection system with harness and surrounding arms.
- Large canopy will protect from the sun.
- The cup holder is flimsy and keeps falling off.
8.smarTrike Zoom Toddler Tricycle
The smartTrike Zoom is comparable to the Joovy Tricycoo we reviewed earlier. But we consider this one of the best tricycles for two year old kids because it has more convenient features and is easier to steer.
Kids of 15 months-3 years of age can ride on the trike. The parent push handle comes with a touch steering technology that requires minimal effort to push the trike forward or steer it in any direction. When you want to give back the control to your kid, just tap a button and twist the front wheel.
For safety, there’s a 3 point harness that compliments the surrounding handle. There’s a canopy for protection against the sun and the high back seat will ensure the child seats as comfortably as possible.
While everything is good, the parental control button can sometimes malfunction. But with some effort it will start working again.
- Touch steering function makes the push handle easy to operate.
- Seat has a high back rest to support the entire body of the child.
- Effortless switching from parent to child control.
- Rear basket is useful for carrying toys and stuff.
- The parental control mechanism can get stuck sometimes.
9.Fisher-Price Nickelodeon PAW Tricycle
You can pour a bit of fun into your kid’s tricycle with a themed model. Fisher-Price has the best role play trike for toddlers and your child can turn into a patroller in no time. The addition of sounds and light make it extremely attractive to kids of this age.
This patrol trike has a wide wheel base with large front wheels. It’s a lot more supportive and ensures that the kid doesn’t wobble or fall over. Even the pedals are slip-resistant to make it more secure.
There’s a themed control panel between the handlebars. The lights and the walkie talkie that makes sound can be operated within this panel. The assembly process isn’t that tough but the instructions aren’t detailed. Overall, it’s worth paying the extra money to get this unique and child-friendly trike.
- Walkie talkie sound and lights for patrolling role play.
- Secret storage space near the handlebar.
- Oversized wheels and wide wheel base for stability.
- Pedals are slip-resistant.
- The instructions for assembling could have been more detailed to save time.
10.Little Tikes 4-in-1 Basic Edition Trike
The last in our list is the Little Tikes 4-in-1 tricycle. It has got pretty useful features that will satisfy most parents. The deal breaker is the parent push bar that lets you control the trike like some of the other models we reviewed.
It’s smartly designed with a seat that adjusts to 4 positions as your child grows. For safety, the 5-point harness and the protective bar is in place. The pedals on this model are non-slip to make sure the feet don’t slip away.
This trike has plastic wheels. Though there is nothing wrong with them, it can be a bit bumpy on rough surfaces. For braking, the child has to pedal backwards. If he can’t reach the pedals, use the foldable footrest for resting the feet.
The canopy is a nice addition to protect from the heat. However, it’s flimsy and moves quite a lot with the wind.
- Seat has 4 adjustable positions.
- Large storage bin at the back to carry kid’s stuff.
- Foldable footrest for children who can’t reach the pedals yet.
- Push handle for parents to control the trike.
- Canopy is flimsy and moves too much.
Most tricycles have similar features with some differences. We tried to find the best tricycles for 2-year-old kids that have a couple of unique features that will make riding easier and safer. Within these 10 models, we are sure there is one that will meet your needs.