If you’re reading this post, you’re probably looking for the best car seat for 6 year old child.
And if so, you’ve landed on the right page.
Parents everywhere have experienced how hard it is to choose the right car seat for children of this age.
With so many options on the market, wondering where to start?
Here we have a roundup of car seat suitable at this age range. Obviously, it’ll help you choose the right one for your six years old child. Keep scrolling.
|Images||Products Name||Weight Capacity (Pound)|
|Britax Frontier Car Seat||Harness: 25 to 90 Booster: 40 to 120|
|Evenflo SafeMax Car Seat||22 to 120|
|Chicco Booster Car Seat||40 to 110|
|BubbleBum Booster Car Seat||40 to 100|
|KidsEmbrace Booster Car Seat||Harness: 22 to 65 Belt positioning: 30 to 100|
|Evenflo Car Seat||Harness: 25 to 90 Booster:40 to 120|
|Chicco Booster Car Seat||High-back: 30 to 100 Backless: 40 to 110|
|Cosco Booster Car Seat||Harness:30 to 65 Belt positioning: 40 to 100|
|Diono Booster Car Seat||40 to 120|
|Graco Grows4Me 4 in 1 Car Seat||5 to 110|
10 Most Popular Car Seat for 6 Year Old 2022
This is a review of the high-quality car seats on the market up-to-date.
Let’s get to what you’re here for!
Click a link below to jump to the relevant section
- 1. Britax Frontier Car Seat
- 2. Evenflo SafeMax Car Seat
- 3. Chicco GoFit Backless Booster Car Seat
- 4. BubbleBum Inflatable Backless Booster Car Seat
- 5. KidsEmbrace Booster Car Seat
- 6. Evenflo High Back Booster Car Seat
- 7.Chicco 2-in-1 Belt-Positioning Booster Car Seat
- 8.Cosco 2-in-1 Combination Booster Car Seat
- 9.Diono Cambria 2 High Back and Backless Booster Seat
- 10.Graco Grows4Me 4 in 1 Car Seat
- Things to consider before buying a car seat for 6 year old
- FAQs On Car Seat For 6 Year Old Kids
- Conclusion & Editor’s Choice
1. Britax Frontier Car Seat
Harness Mode: 25 to 90 pounds,
Booster mode: 40 to 120 pounds
My first choice for the best car seat for 6 year old is the Britax Frontier ClickTight. Everything about this product is high-quality, and it’s a top choice for kids to have a safe ride.
The design allows you to use it in harness mode and booster mode. Of course, the transition from harness to the belt-positioning booster is smooth and hassle-free. Moreover, switching to modes is also a breeze.
Installing a car seat is a struggle, but this isn’t the case of Britax Frontier. It’s easy and quick to install. Thanks to its Patented ClickTight system.
And you know what else?
The nine harness positions, two position buckle and 62-inch standing height provide a comfy ride for your taller child.
Additionally, the impact-absorbing base and two layers of side impact protection add comfort to your child while on ride.
Overall, it’s an excellent stuff for the price. If you’re looking for an easy to install, high-quality booster car seat with a lot of safety features, don’t hesitate to invest in this product.
- Easy to install and switch between the modes.
- SafeCell Impact Protection.
- Forward movement reducing V-shaped tether.
- No rethreading needed.
- Hassle-free cleaning with easy to remove cover.
- Not reclinable at booster mode.
- Requires to use a tether anchor in harness mode (if your child weighs more than 65 pounds).
2. Evenflo SafeMax Car Seat
Weight Capacity: 22 to 120 pounds
This Evenflo SafeMax is an excellent choice when it comes to buying the best versatile car seat for your growing child.
The versatile design offers three functions in a single unit. You can use it as a harness booster and a high back booster. Moreover, the design lets you set it as no back booster.
Installing the SafeMax to your car is relatively easy. The premium-grade SureSafe latch guides are useful to fit your car belts- no need to rethread the harness.
Worry about your child’s safety while riding?
SafeMax meets or exceeds all the Federal safety requirements. Moreover, it passes Evenflo’s Rollover and comprehensive Side Impact standard.
Besides Evenflo SafeMax includes E3 side impact protection that provides advanced protection where your child needs it most.
In essence, to travel with peace of mind with your growing child, this car seat is unbeatable. It provides an exceptional value for a combination car seat with several innovative features.
- Designed to keep your child comfortable for long ride.
- TempRight performance fabrics for added comfort.
- Simple adjustability with an upfront harness fitting.
- Dual cup holders for convenience.
- Adjusting the headrest is somewhat tricky as the handle is situated at the back of the seat.
3. Chicco GoFit Backless Booster Car Seat
Weight capacity: 40 to 110 pounds
Is your child matured enough for a backless booster seat? Then, Chicco GoFit is a perfect choice.
You know why?
The double foam padding of this thing makes it undeniably comfortable. Moreover, the contour design provides support in all the right places.
Importantly, it helps your car seat belt to fit correctly on your child’s shoulder. Thanks to its integrated shoulder belt clip and lap belt guides.
When it comes to portability, it’s easy to transfer from vehicle to vehicle. The patented built-in carry handle makes this job hassle-free.
Of course, it includes a quick-release latch for stability and grab-and-go convenience. The smooth underside of the seat protects your car seats from damage.
Chicco GoFit earns praise for its cup holders and pop-out armrests that make it convenient to use. Of course, you can fold inwards when not in use.
Finally, the armrest and seat-pad are removable and machine washable.
Above all, Ergo Boost is one of the best plush backless car seat for 6-year-old child.
- Stand out backless design.
- Incredibly plush to feel.
- Easy to transport when switching vehicles.
- Easy-care washability of the armrest and seat pad.
- Removable and dishwasher-safe cup holder.
- No anchor system to prevent the booster from sliding across the seats.
4. BubbleBum Inflatable Backless Booster Car Seat
Weight capacity: 40 to 100 pounds
Here’s another excellent backless booster car seat. It’s well-design and constructed to suit your needs wherever you go with your 4 to 11-year old child.
This BubbleBum car seat offers comfort and convenience without compromising on safety. It saves space, money, and lives.
YES, you’ve heard that right.
Let me explain it.
Firstly, the fold-away design deflates and folds easily in a carry-on bag, backpack, or purse. So, you can carry it with your children wherever they go.
Of course, it inflates in seconds, making it perfect for taxis. The narrow and slim line design makes fitting three seats across easy. It’s also ideal for setting in the middle position.
Secondly, you don’t need to use someone else’s car seat or rent from car hire companies. Thus, it saves you money at the car rental desk.
Finally, it’s a lifesaver while you ride with your growing child. It meets or exceeds EU and US safety regulations. Moreover, it passes the crash testing requirements even with a puncture.
Importantly, the patented memory foam technology provides this Inflatable travel booster stability and structural integrity. Thanks to this Award-winning innovation.
In short, this travel car booster seat is an ideal everyday solution. Of course, it’s one of the most affordable models to buy.
- Narrow and slim line design.
- Easy to inflate and install.
- Portable and packable.
- Ultralight, stable and convenient.
- Includes convenient bag and shoulder positioning clip.
- Not suitable for long term use on long rides.
5. KidsEmbrace Booster Car Seat
Harness mode: 22 to 65 pounds
Belt-positioning mode: 30 to 100 pounds
This combination booster car seat is one of the coolest car seat for 6 year old kids. Its spider-man style will provide your little superhero the feeling of hopping into the car, knowing Spider-Man is along for the ride!
Versatility is another positive aspect of its 2-in-1 design. Firstly, you can use it in a forward-facing setting. Of course, there is a 5-point harness for children between 29 to 49″ in height and 22 to 65 lbs. weight.
Additionally, it allows you to convert it into a belt-positioning booster car seat for the child between 38 to 57″ in height and 30 to 100 lbs. weight.
This contoured seat is comfortable and safe for long rides. You can use the crotch belt in two different positions. Undoubtedly, this feature is helpful to accommodate your growing child.
But wait, that’s not all!
You can adjust the headrest in three different positions. Moreover, it includes energy-absorbing EPS foam that offers maximum side-impact protection.
Overall, KidsEmbrace 2-in-1 is a super cool looking booster seat that your child will love.
- Easy to install with or without LATCH and the top tether.
- Easy to adjust harness straps with one hand.
- Machine-washable cushioned seat cover.
- Handy two cup holders for drinks, snacks, or toys.
- Meets or exceeds FMVSS 213 standards.
- Short buckle strap.
6. Evenflo High Back Booster Car Seat
Weight Capacity: 30 to 111 pounds
If your kids need an extra boost for safe seating in the vehicle and are ready to use the vehicle’s belt, Evenflo Amp is a perfect option for them.
The specs and features that the manufacturer has put into this booster car seat show that this product was designed precisely for your growing kids.
This 2-in-1 booster seat offers you two modes for forward-facing use. Conveniently, you can detach the backrest and transform it into a backless seat.
The 6-position height adjustment offers a better fit with the growth of your child. Of course, you can easily adjust different positions with one hand.
I just love it!
Additionally, there is a belt clip that ensures correct vehicle belt-positioning around your child’s shoulder.
The padded seat is comfy enough for a long journey. Moreover, the dual cup holders keep drinks and snacks close to their hands while riding.
Above all, Evenflo Amp is a perfect high-back booster car seat for on-the-go families. It’s an excellent option if you’re shopping on a budget too!
- Great for long time use.
- Removable and machine-washable seat pad.
- Lightweight and easy to move from vehicle to vehicle.
- Rated best-bet booster by IIHS.
- Available in a variety of fun colors and patterns.
- Compact and somewhat flimsy.
7.Chicco 2-in-1 Belt-Positioning Booster Car Seat
High-back: 30 to 100 pounds
Backless: 40 to 110 pounds
KidFit Belt-Positioning booster car seat is exactly what you’re looking for when it comes to keeping your growing kids comfortable and safe on the go.
The DuoGuard comes equipped with EPS energy-absorbing foam and a deep rigid shell. This feature offers head and shoulder side-impact protection to your child.
The best part of this product is the 10-position height adjustment from the waist. That means your child will have full protection for shoulder and head in every stage.
Not to mention, its 2-position backrest and Ergo Boost contoured seat with double foam padding. Of course, the backrest is reclinable. Moreover, it’s removable for the transition from high-back to backless.
That’s not the end.
It includes SuperCinch one-pull tightener and premium LATCH connectors that stabilize the seat to keep it secured when not in use.
Above all, this product is awesome in terms of quality, ease of use, comfort, and safety. You’ll definitely get what you pay for!
- Thoughtfully designed
- Lightweight and very sleek looking
- Easy to remove and hideaway 2 dish-washer safe cups
- Easy-to-use vehicle belt guides
- Removable and machine-washable all fabric covers
- The bottom and back don’t stay together very well when you’re picking it up.
8.Cosco 2-in-1 Combination Booster Car Seat
Harness mode:30 to 65 pounds
Belt-positioning mode: 40 to 100 pounds
Cosco Finale DX is the last car seat you may ever need.
Yes, that’s probably the perfect sentence match with this 2-in-1 combination booster car seat from Cosco.
It’s perfect for growing family and family on the go. The 2-in-1 design allows you to use it in forward-facing with harness or belt-positioning mode.
Additionally, it’s compact enough to fit three across in most vehicles, making it ideal for families traveling with multiple kids at once.
Of course, it’s lightweight and easy to move from one car to another. Moreover, it provides a good belt fit for 4 to 8 years old child in almost any vehicle.
Conveniently, it includes a removable cup holder. What’s good about this cup holder is you can use it on either side of the seat.
Oh, I almost forgot to mention! You won’t need to worry about the cleaning of this product. Simply remove the easy to clean seat pad and toss it into the washing machine and then dryer for stress-free cleaning.
Importantly, it meets or exceeds ASTM, Federal, and JPMA safety standards. Finally, the one-year limited warranty will really give you peace of mind if anything were to go wrong with it!
What more do you need to buy Cosco Finale DX? I hope it’s enough.
In conclusion, for a standard, comfortable, safe option that includes thoughtfully-designed features. You can’t beat the value and price of Cosco Finale DX.
- IIHS Best Bet rating for use in booster mode.
- Designed to fit side by side across the back seat of most vehicles.
- Machine washable and dryable deluxe fabric.
- Detachable and reversible cup-holder.
- Across the board, straps are shorter and more limited for taller kids.
9.Diono Cambria 2 High Back and Backless Booster Seat
Weight Capacity: 40 to 120 pounds
Diono Cambria 2 is one of the biggest high-back booster car seat available for 6 years old kids. It comes with simple but practical design.
It offers room to grow without compromising on comfort and safety. Not to mention its roomy internal space measuring 19-inch in width that makes it perfect for growing shoulders.
Diono Cambria gives you the freedom to adjust its headrest in six different positions. And you can easily adjust the positions with one hand.
Still not CONVINCED?
Conveniently, the car seat is redesigned to improve access to vehicle buckles. Moreover, it weighs only 12-pound, making it portable and easy to store.
To sum up, for a comfortable and safe journey with your six years old child, Diono Cambria 2 is an excellent option. It’s always ready to take with you on every new adventure.
- Roomy and spacious design.
- Tapered sides and extra padding for total comfort.
- Ergonomically contoured seat surface.
- Extra seat length for better leg support.
- Practical fabrics for wipe clean.
- Available in a range of colors.
- Wide base that makes it tricky to quickly and easily buckle the seatbelt.
10.Graco Grows4Me 4 in 1 Car Seat
Weight Capacity: 5 to 110 pounds
Last on this list of best car seats for a 6-year-old kid, we have the Graco Grows4Me. You’ll really appreciate the usefulness of its 4-in-1 design that will provide you at least ten years of use.
Why am I saying this?
Well, Graco Grows4Me is literally a versatile car seat that has several practical features to grow with your child.
Firstly, you can use it as a rear-facing harness (5 to 40 pounds). Then, it allows you to use it as a forward-facing harness (22-65 lbs.). It’s also usable as a high-back booster (40-100 lbs.).
Finally, if your child is ready to sit back correctly in your car’s seat, use this stuff as a backless booster (40- 110 lbs.).
Another nice feature of this 4-in-1 car seat is it offers you ten positions to adjust the height of harness and headrest. That means your child will always remain comfortable and properly secured.
Moreover, the 6-position reclinable seat helps keep your growing child comfy during long journey.
To summarize, if you’re looking for a car seat that will last from infant to big baby, Graco Grows4Me 4 in 1 is the top choice for you. This stuff is expensive, but if you consider its versatility and flexibility, definitely it’s worth buying.
- Seamless transformations to 4 different uses.
- Easy to use and adjustable headrest and reclinable seat.
- Integrated storage compartment to hold the harness straps.
- LATCH included for an easy installation.
- Graco ProtectPlus Engineered for safety.
- A bit pricey.
Read Also: 10 Graco car Seat Model 2022
Things to consider before buying a car seat for 6 year old
1. Know the Appropriate Height and Weight of Your Child
A child will need a car seat typically up to 8-12 years old. During these years, you will need to keep track of his height and weight, so that the car seat he is using is safe. On an average, 6-year-olds have a height of 3ft 9-in and 45 lbs weight. Look for car seats that meet these limits. All of the car seats that we have reviewed can support a wide variety of 6-year-old kids with varying height and weight.
2. Type of Car Seat to Choose
At 6 years, your kid has probably outgrown the rear-facing car seat you had. If you have bought a convertible, it should last a year or two more. Usually, these two types of car seats are recommended for kids of this age:
- Forward-facing car seat
Some car seats are only forward-facing and they are also known as toddler boosters. These seats have a harness and can support children from 20-90 lbs. They are usually less expensive than convertibles and combination car seats.
Boosters are the last car seats your child will be using. Some 6-year-olds can outgrow their peers and so, these seats might be right for your kid depending on his height and weight. The harness is no longer needed and you can use your car’s regular seat belt. The only function it does is to raise the seat so that the seat belt is at the right position.
3. Choose ‘Combination Car Seats’ for Best Value
The best car seat for your 6-year-old kid is the combination car seat. This gives you the best value for your money. Initially, it will start forward-facing with a harness. But as soon as your kid outgrows this mode, you can use it as a booster and use the regular car seat belt. Most of the car seats in this list are combination seats. If you go along this route, you won’t have to buy a car seat again.
4. High Back Vs Backless Booster
There’s always a debate when it comes to choosing a booster seat. You will find them in two styles: high back and backless.
The safest option is high back boosters. These car seats will keep your kid’s head in good position and also offer side impact protection. Your best bet for a high back booster is the Britax Frontier and Evenflo SafeMax.
With backless boosters, you get more portability and work like charm when you are traveling. Chicco GoFit and BubbleBum are some of the backless car seats we reviewed and you can check them out.
The good news is there are few models like Chicco 2-in-1 and Graco Grows4Me that can be used both as backless and high back styles.
5. Expensive Vs Budget-Friendly Models
With car seats, the price doesn’t necessarily equate to more safety. All car seats go through the same testing process. The higher price tag can be because of brand value, extra features, more padding, multipurpose usage/convertibility and durability. However, if you do have the budget, always buy the best you can.
FAQs On Car Seat For 6 Year Old Kids
1. Can a six year old use a booster seat?
Yes and no. A 6 year old can use a booster seat if either he reached 4.1 ft or the booster seat has harness that can later be transformed into only seat belt positioning mode.
2. Can my 6 year old use a backless booster seat?
Yes, if your child has reached 48 lbs or 4.1 ft or if the backless booster seat has a weight limit within your child’s current weight. Use high back booster seats for the safest outcome and to avoid fines.
3. How can I ensure my 6 year old is safe in his car seat?
Here are few things to you can do to ensure your 6 year old’s safety in a car seat:
- Make sure he is using the appropriate car seat and isn’t below the minimum weight limit.
- Ensure proper fit. The harness strap should be above or just on your kid’s shoulders and the chest clip near the armpit.
- Learn to install the car seat properly. The seat must not move 1-in side to side or front to back.
- The seat should meet the federal motor vehicle safety standard.
- Avoid all sorts of used car seats unless and until you know for sure it wasn’t in a crash and it should be fresh & free from cracks.
- Always install the seat on the rear of your car to avoid air bag collusion.
Conclusion & Editor’s Choice
Each of the car booster seats enters our shortlist for their excellent performance and quality.
But your choice of the best car seat for 6 year old will ultimately depend on your child’s need and your preference.
However, from the best value for the money, my personal favorite is Britax Frontier ClickTight Harness-2-Booster Car Seat.
This is literally a high-quality stuff perfect for toddler to big kid to have a safe and comfortable ride. While using this stuff, you should feel confident that your child is comfortable, safe and secure.
Thanks for reading.