Flu bugs and several types of harmful viruses thrive well in cold and dry weather. Since babies have weaker immunity than grown-ups, they become the easy target of these pathogens.
Having a cool-mist humidifier is a great way to relieve your kid from the harmful effects of low humidity.
A warm mist humidifier can also do the trick but it is not at all safe for a kid’s room. These units can get smoldering hot. It can cause burn injuries if a person gets too close to it. Children do tend to fiddle with everything within their sight. Therefore, a cool-mist humidifier is a safer solution for nurseries.
But how to pick the best cool mist humidifier for baby without breaking the bank? What are the essential features to look for? How to figure out which product is reliable?
I have answered all these questions and also selected 10 trustworthy humidifiers to save you some time and energy. But before that, take a look at the advantages of using a cool-mist humidifier just for a heads-up.
Stellar Health Benefits of Buying a Cool Mist Humidifier
If you are new to the world of humidifiers and not sure what does cool mist humidifier do exactly, let me help you understand.
By increasing the moisture in the air and keeping it within 40%-60% range, this machine-
- Relieves chest and nose congestion.
- Prevents nose bleeding.
- Lessen the symptoms of asthma.
- Prevents the growth of flu viruses.
- Reduces the risk of allergies and bacterial infection.
- Relieves sinus pressure.
- Rehydrates the skin to heal dry skin issues.
Below I have listed and reviewed 10 models that provide all these benefits along with a bunch of cool features to make your life easy.
|TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier|
|Everlasting Comfort Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier|
|Pure Enrichment MistAire XL Cool Mist Humidifier|
|URPOWER Wood Grain Cool Mist Humidifier|
|Crane Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifiers|
|URPOWER 2nd Version Cool Mist Humidifier|
|Honeywell Germ Free Cool Mist Humidifier|
|Pure Enrichment MistAire Studio Cool Mist Humidifier|
|BONECO Travel Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier|
|Crane Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifiers|
10 Best Cool Mist Humidifier For Baby 2021
Presented below are various sorts of cool mist humidifiers and their stunning traits. We have designed the review with positive aspects as well as their negative factors.
Click a link below to jump to the relevant section
- 1.TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier
- 2.Everlasting Comfort Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- 3.Pure Enrichment MistAire XL Cool Mist Humidifier
- 4.URPOWER Wood Grain Cool Mist Humidifier
- 5.Crane Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifiers
- 6.URPOWER 2nd Version Cool Mist Humidifier
- 7.Honeywell HCM350W Germ Free Cool Mist Humidifier
- 8.Pure Enrichment MistAire Studio Cool Mist Humidifier
- 9.BONECO Travel Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier
- 10.Crane Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifiers
- Humidifier and Aromatherapy: Is It Safe to Use Essential Oil in a Humidifier?
- Which Humidifier Is Perfect? -Cool vs Warm
- Is A Cool Mist Humidifier Safe for Winter Use?
- What To Keep In Mind Before Buying The Best Cool Mist Humidifier For Baby?
- How To Clean a Cool Mist Humidifier For Longevity?
1.TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier
If you want a cool-mist humidifier that’s quiet as a cat, has a soothing blue nightlight and can run for long hours without refill, then take a look at this one.
It houses a 4L tank which can last for 12-30 hours depending on the mist setting. There are 3 mist levels to choose from, by the way. While it cannot humidify large living spaces, it is ideal for medium size nurseries of 10-30 m² / 107-322 ft.
It features a built-in humidistat which displays accurate read-out of the current Relative Humidity (RH). It lets you have full control over the ambient humidity, making sure it never exceeds the ideal 40-60% RH range.
The addition of low water level LED indicator further adds to the utility of the humidifier. Don’t worry if the tank goes empty and there’s nobody around to refill it. The device will shut off on its own if it runs out of water.
To keep your kid safe from seasonal flu, sore throat, runny nose, and headache, TaoTronics uses a Microporous cartridge filter. It keeps the flu bugs and bad odor at bay, keeping the air fresh and purified all the time.
- Soothing nightlight that can be turned off using the Sleep Mode.
- Microporous filter to purify the air.
- Auto shut-off.
- Extremely quiet operation.
- Built-in humidistat shows accurate RH reading.
- You cannot use essential oils in the tank.
- The cartridge cannot filter white dust. You’ll eventually have to use distilled water for refilling.
2.Everlasting Comfort Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
When budget is not an issue then why not splurging on a unit that doesn’t require constant refill? This sleek and stylish model from Everlasting comes with a 6L tank which is ideal for sizeable rooms.
Once filled to the brim, you can forget about refilling for nearly 50 hours on low to medium settings. And when the reservoir is empty, the device will turn off automatically.
The LED light on the water tank serves two purposes. One, it acts as a nightlight. Two, it helps you easily keep an eye on the water level.
With huge capacity comes huge coverage too. This device can maintain an ideal RH level in living rooms up to 400 sq.ft. The cool mist it releases is extremely soothing and is ideal for kids battling congested sinuses, stuffy nose and allergies.
You can also control the mist output and direction with the steam output knob and 360-degree rotating nozzle. I was impressed to see that it releases a good amount of steam even on the lowest output setting.
Add to that, it doubles up as an essential oil diffuser too. Put a few drops of oil in the oil tray to create a spa-like relaxing ambience. What’s more stunning is that there’s no filter to clean up or replace from time to time.
Imagine how much money and energy that’s going to save. I’d only suggest you use distilled water to avoid the accumulation of white dust.
- No filter, therefore, low maintenance and cost-effective.
- Has an essential oil tray.
- Large tank capacity and coverage.
- Lets you control the direction of the mist.
- Noise-free operation.
- Some users have found the refilling process a bit awkward.
3.Pure Enrichment MistAire XL Cool Mist Humidifier
Pure Enrichment is a reliable brand that designs compact but powerful humidifiers for large rooms. What makes this product worth your attention is the quality and number of features it offers for a modest price tag.
The product under the scanner is one of the most stylish and high-performance cool mist humidifiers by the manufacturer. The reservoir can accommodate 1 gallon of water which can last for up to 24 hours depending on the mist setting.
It is suitable for spaces up to 500 sq.ft. It can keep the room humidity level above 40%.
This humidifier also boasts of dual mist nozzles to control the flow of the steam and offers 3 nightlight colors (blue,green & red) to choose from. Like all the best cool mist humidifiers for baby rooms
on this list, this one also features a control knob to adjust the intensity of the mist and auto shut-off function.
The tank is transparent which helps you to easily check the level of water. There’s a low water level LED light indicator too.
Extra points to the product for its whisper-quiet operation. If your kid is a light sleeper then he could benefit a lot from this. It only emits a faint noise of water bubbling which actually makes some people fall asleep faster.
You can add a few drops of essential oils in the tank to create a serene and soothing atmosphere in the room. If your kid is suffering from cold symptoms then add some Vapo Rub to relieve nasal and chest congestion.
- Doesn’t have a filter but still releases clean steam.
- Quiet operation.
- Dual mist nozzles to customize the steam flow.
- 3 nightlight colors that can be turned off if needed.
- Accessories like disk cleaning brush and AC power adapter included.
- The opening of the tank is too small.
- The refilling process is cumbersome according to some users.
4.URPOWER Wood Grain Cool Mist Humidifier
If you are looking for a cool-mist humidifier that also diffuses oil for aromatherapy for large rooms, then take a look at this one.
I am very intrigued by the quirky onion-like shape of the unit. The wood grain finishing gives it a luxe look which would instantly up the glam quotient of any room.
Now coming to the topic that actually matters. Don’t let its small stature fool you into thinking that it’s not powerful. The 300 ml. tank delivers 10 hours of consistent mist in small apartment rooms.
To feel the soothing fragrance of essential oils tickling your nose, remember to maintain a good water to oil ratio. I’d suggest you add at least 6-7 drops of in 250-300 ml. water.
I have to say that it is one of the best cool mist humidifiers for baby rooms as far as quality of features and ease of use are concerned. It comes with 4 timer settings. It will help you run a continuous operation and save energy at the same time. The device will auto shut off when the tank goes empty.
The buttons for controlling mist output (high and low), timer and turning off the nightlight are conveniently located on the body of the unit.
The LED nightlight keeps changing colors. There 7 colors for every mood and occasion. You can let the light keep changing colors, adjust the brightness, fix one color or turn all of them off using the “Light” button.
The unit releases strong steam without making palpable noise on the low setting. You might hear a slight bubbling noise on the high setting which would actually help you sleep peacefully.
- Powerful mist for 10 hours.
- Easy to use controls.
- Easy to refill as the lid top opens swiftly.
- Works in large rooms.
- Adjustable nightlight with 7 color options.
- A little tricky to turn off.
5.Crane Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifiers
If your baby is suffering from nasal congestion, allergies or upper respiratory infection and you want a non-medicated solution for this, take a look at this one.
This ultrasonic cool mist humidifier uses an antimicrobial material instead of a typical filter. It is designed to reduce the growth of harmful bacteria and nasty mold by 99.96%. This can be extremely beneficial for kids who are prone to allergies, skin infection and flu.
It houses a 1-gallon tank and can last for 24 hours in rooms up to 500 sq. feet. The 360-degree lid lets you blow the strong mist any direction you want for maximum effect. The mist is strong enough to clear up sinuses and prevent dry skin problems.
With controllable mist output, this unit is capable of keeping the humidity level within 43%-60% throughout the day. It operates quietly and the only audible sound is a soothing white noise of the water bubbling. Despite the lack of a filter, keeping the tank clean is surprisingly easy. Use distilled water to avoid white dust.
In case you are wondering if you can use essential oils in it, sorry to disappoint you. The manufacturer strictly recommends against it.
- Very quiet, produces relaxing white noise.
- Strong and consistent mist output.
- Focus the mist in any direction you want
- Antimicrobial material prevents the growth of pathogens and mold.
- Sleek and elegant design.
- Refilling the tank could be tricky at first.
- Some users have complained about the device leaving the surface damp.
6.URPOWER 2nd Version Cool Mist Humidifier
This cool-mist humidifier-cum- essential oil diffuser is an extremely well-designed and high-performance unit at a reasonable price. It has a compact, sleek and chic design that easily gels with the decor of any household.
The 300 ml. tank can deliver clean and scented mist for up to 6 hours on continuous operation and 3 hours on intermittent operation. It offers two mist settings (low and high). The output would be enough for a space-challenged kid’s room.
The built-in timer can be programmed easily to make sure that your room is always filled with cool and soothing mist without increasing your electricity bill.
It also features an LED indicator light which alerts you when the tank needs a refill. It includes auto shut-off feature too to ensure optimal safety.
Your kids are going to absolutely adore the color-changing nightlight that cycles through 7 colors. Can’t sleep with the lights on? No worries. The nightlight can be turned off with the press of a button.
To sum up, if you are looking for the best cool mist humidifier for baby on a small budget with oil diffusing function, quiet operation, and straightforward controls, this could be the one.
- Continuous and intermittent operation mode.
- Disperses a strong scent.
- Auto shut off and low water level indicator.
- Great for people dealing with dry skin problems and sinus infection.
- No hassle of cleaning or replacing moldy filter.
- Won’t be effective unless you put it in a really small room.
7.Honeywell HCM350W Germ Free Cool Mist Humidifier
Impure air filled with pathogens and contaminants can pose a severe health risk for your kids, pets and everyone else in the house. This high power humidifier from Honeywell uses UV technology to eliminate 99% of bacteria to keep the room air fresh and pure. It’s a huge advantage for kids frequently falling prey to bacterial infection and allergies.
This is the smartest humidifier on this list so far. Instead of making you adjust the mist output, the unit senses the ideal RH level for the room and adjusts the moisture accordingly. It uses evaporative technology, which means you can’t actually see the mist.
It pushes the water through a special wicking filter that stunts the growth of fungus and bacteria. You’ll be glad to know that the filter keeps the white dust from gathering onto the walls and upholsteries. So if you want to use only tap water, go ahead, no problem with that.
The unit is virtually silent on the low and medium mist mode. The gurgling noise is audible only if you set it on the high mode and place it right beside your bedside. On the lowest setting, the machine can produce strong mist for up to 24 hours in rooms measuring about 250 sq.ft.
Due to its incredibly easy operation and refilling, it will be a great choice for first-time humidifier users.
- Ultraviolet light kills 99% of bacteria.
- The filter prevents the formation of white dust.
- The 1-gallon tank is easy to fill over the sink.
- Self-regulating feature automatically adjusts to the ideal humidity level.
- The tank is dishwasher safe.
- The fan blades need to be cleaned frequently and thoroughly to prevent mold and mildew buildup.
8.Pure Enrichment MistAire Studio Cool Mist Humidifier
Don’t underestimate the functionality of the humidifier due to its small footprint. It is packed with plenty of useful features such as optional nightlight and auto shut off function. It offers two mist settings: low and high. The 0.7-liter water is neither big nor heavy. On low settings, it can smoothly run 10 hours of continuous operation.
You will get a decent moisture output of 60 ml/hr on low and 80ml/hr on high mode. The intensity of the mist can unclog a stuffy nose and provide relief from all kinds of ailments caused by dry air.
It does not accommodate a filter. Therefore, make sure to clean the base and tank thoroughly with water and vinegar once a week. I was glad to find a small cleaning brush included in the package. It will help you clean the hard-to-access hardware parts.
- Very small footprint, convenient to carry.
- Helps to reduce the symptoms of flu, sinusitis and dry skin issues.
- Whisper-quiet operation.
- Easy-to-fill tank.
- Relaxing blue nightlight.
- Little bit tricky to get it to sit correctly on the base.
9.BONECO Travel Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier
The design, size and mist strength of this unit is perfect for RVs, hotel rooms as well as studio apartments. Parents who are planning to travel with their babies and are worried about the downsides of the dry climate of their destination will benefit the most from this unit.
It is a large capacity travel-friendly model, featuring a 1-gallon tank that can last up to 24 hours. What took me completely by surprise was that I could fit a water bottle around the opening of the tank for water supply. That way, I never have to worry about running out of water during long road trips. You can use both small and tall PET bottles you find at grocery stores.
As if that wasn’t enough, the package also includes a travel bag to neatly tuck away the device after use. Like regular humidifiers, this one also has a couple of small but significant utility features like auto shut-off, water level LED indicator and blue nightlight.
- Attach regular PET bottles to the tank to refill.
- Long-lasting and strong mist output.
- Great remedy for congested sinuses.
- Comes with a travel bag.
- The blue nightlight can be too bright for some people.
10.Crane Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifiers
This one has to be the cutest looking humidifier I have ever come across. It comes in the shape of a penguin. Your kids are going to fall in love with it at the very first sight.
Buying the right humidifier for kids isn’t just about picking up the prettiest model. Good news is that this unit is much more than just good looks. Instead of a filter, it utilizes a special Antimicrobial agent to kill existing bacteria in the air and prevent their further growth.
It houses a lightweight 1-gallon tank, tailormade to fill rooms up to 500 sq. with cool steam for 24 hours. The mist strength is adequate for kids dealing with respiratory problems, sinusitis, flu, fever, sore throat, and dry skin-related problems. I loved how you can rotate the penguin-head shaped lid to 360 degrees to adjust the direction of the mist flow.
I just wish I could add a few drops of Vicks VapoRub in the tank for aromatherapy but it could degrade the tank material.
- Kills the existing bacteria and germs in the air.
- Prevents the growth of mold.
- Great for kids suffering from respiratory infections.
- Lightweight. Can be carried anywhere in the house.
- Soothing water bubbling noise can help babies fall asleep easily.
- The user guide comes with very clear cut instructions.
- No nightlight.
- You need to use distilled water to avoid white dust. However, you can also buy a demineralization filter separately to continue using tap water.
Humidifier and Aromatherapy: Is It Safe to Use Essential Oil in a Humidifier?
Humidifiers and oil diffusers are two separate devices. One uses water to create hot/cool steam. The other breaks oil into tiny particles to release a strong fragrance.
Mixing aromatherapy oil with water in a humidifier will definitely create a spa-like ambience in your room. However, unlike a diffuser, humidifiers cannot nebulize the oil particles to make it easily absorbable.
Having said that, you should not put essential oils in every humidifier under the sun. It will make the tank impossible to clean and also slowly degrade the plastic in the unit.
Only a handful of humidifiers are designed to disperse essential oils into the air. Brands like URPOWER, Everlasting Comfort have all the benefits of cool mist humidifiers and oil diffusers rolled into a single unit.
I should also note here that cool mist humidifiers are much better for diffusing aromatherapy oil than warm mist models. The latter can destroy the therapeutic value of essential oils with high heat. A cool-mist humidifier keeps the medicinal benefits of the oils intact while releasing the scent.
Which Humidifier Is Perfect? -Cool vs Warm
Now, it’s time to purchase the best companion of your baby for the arid climates or dry winter. In general, you will find two types of humidifiers over the market. Cool mist humidifier and warm mist humidifier.
Both diffuse moisture to the air but cool mist humidifier is far way better than warm mist humidifier. In contrast, warm mist humidifiers are breakneck for your baby.
To clear the clouds of doubt from your head, let me compare the benefits of cool mist humidifier vs warm mist humidifiers. This should help you determine what kind of humidifier is best for the baby.
Warm mist humidifier first boils the water then it will disperse the moisture to the air being steam. You may think that a warm humidifier would be better for your kid as it will foster your baby more warm and comfy during the night.
But, cool mist humidifiers are also the same practicable as it helps to prevent coughing and congestion of your baby. Cool mist humidifier zings the water to dissipate mist into the air without applying heat.
Even, many doctors have recommended the cool mist humidifier for baby. If you want to clarify you can see the Mayo Clinic.
However, using warm mist humidifiers could be more harmful as it produces hot water and it would fall or burn your baby in case of getting close. Again, it could be a bit of pricey compared to cool mist humidifier as hot mist humidifiers use heating element in it. It is also found that it makes much noise while functioning as bubbling and hissing involve to heat the water.
Is A Cool Mist Humidifier Safe for Winter Use?
Does a cool mist humidifier make the room cold? This one question is probably still bothering a lot of you right now. Taking care of a baby in winter, especially keeping flu and cough away is already difficult. On top of that, using a machine that releases a cool mist in cold weather doesn’t sound like a smart idea.
So here’s what you need to know. Buying a cool mist humidifier in cold climate is totally safe. These humidifiers only disperse room-temperature moisture. It does not blow cool air like an air cooler or circulate air like a fan. The cool haze might make the temp drop a few degrees. That won’t really make any difference.
What To Keep In Mind Before Buying The Best Cool Mist Humidifier For Baby?
You need to prepare a set of parameters while choosing the best cool mist humidifier for baby room. Tons of humidifiers are available on the market with different sizes and shapes. But, before buying the best one you might see some basic traits in a humidifier.
It’s not necessary to have the humidifier that is labeled with the baby. You just need to get your work done! Make ensure that your baby is getting enough moisture as well as it is safe.
Recently, a study carried out by the Center for Disease Control has shown the humidity levels from 43%-60% is best as it prevents the flu viruses, germs and finally a soothing atmosphere.
- Some humidifiers use a low quality fan which makes an incredible sound while operates, therefore, baby might get afraid or feel disturbance while sleeping. I do not think you will allow this nonsense element in your baby room that bothers your baby.
So, you need a quitter humidifier for your baby room. Normally, cool mist humidifiers are quite as they do not have to heat water through bubbling and hissing.
- Auto shut off function is now very common in all humidifiers. It helps you get to relax and safe because it automatically turns off when the tank is out of water or in a critical position.
- Baby loves the attractive atmosphere around them, so, you can buy any toy, animal, or robot shaped humidifier to keep your baby entertain. The inclusion of LED light is a PLUS!
- In a sense, filter-less humidifiers are good because you can clean it easily and most noteworthy, you do not need to change the filter every few months.
- Antibacterial feature like UV (ultraviolet) light filters etc.
- Be concern material used in the unit are BPA free.
How To Clean a Cool Mist Humidifier For Longevity?
Take Some Necessary Things To Clean Your Humidifier:
- Get Water and vinegar mixture in a spray to remove the spot.
- White vinegar and bleach.
- One big saucepan or bowl.
- A flexible bristle brush.
Steps To Be Followed:
- Firstly, disassemble all the parts carefully. Keep all the parts tank, filter and base separately. Cautiously remove the motor and keep in a safe place.
- Secondly, put water and bleach (1 tablespoon) into the tank. Scrub it few times then keep it for 30 minutes.
- Thirdly, mix two cups of white vinegar and water in the saucepan or bowl. Put the filter into the water/vinegar saucepan or bowl for 30 minutes.
- Fourthly, put mixture of water and white vinegar into the base and keep it for 30 minutes. After that, scrubs with bristle brush few times then rinse completely.
- In case of base sterilizations, you can use of mixture of water and household bleach (1 teaspoon for per gallon water) for 30 minutes
- Finally, rinse the tank, filter, and base thoroughly. After this, put them for few minutes to dry air.
Now, you are all set. Reassemble them accordingly. Pour fresh water into the tank and recommence using.
Some Extra Tips May Help You:
- If your water is hard it may leaves calcium or minerals. hence, you can try filtered or distilled water.
- Always read the manufacturer’s instructions before start 1st time cleaning because some brands have specific instructions of cleaning.
- For a better mist flow, you should clean your humidifier once a week.
The best cool mist humidifier for baby‘s particular needs is lying just around the corner, trust me. You just need to figure out what to look for and whether the model provides value for money.
I aimed to provide you with all the valuable information you will need to determine the credibility of a product. If you have read the entire article carefully, I’m hopeful that you have already found what you were looking for.
After spending countless hours searching for the top cool-mist humidifiers model, I too have finally found one product that ticks all the boxes for me. I’m talking about TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier which is, by far, the quietest unit in this list.
It reaches the desired RH level real quick. This ultra smart device stops releasing mist when the room reaches the set humidity value. The volume of the mist is adequate for standard size kid’s rooms and most importantly, it is energy-efficient too. I cannot ask for more.